|Times Square. Source:|
English is a West Germanic language and is considered a global 'Lingua Franca'. It is the national language of the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and many Caribbean nations. It is very commonly taught as a second language around the world and is the 3rd most common native language in the world after Mandarin and Spanish. From the 17th to 20th Century the influence of the British Empire saw the language spread. English literature, world media networks (BBC) and the American film and TV industry have made English the leading language of international discourse and the lingua franca in many nations.
This programme is available for students aged 16+ for a minimum duration of 2 weeks. The school is located in the centre of Manhattan near to the famous Times Square and just a 5 minute walk to Broadway, 5th avenue and the Empire State Building. The school has ultra modern facilities with free WiFi throughout the building , 16 bright and spacious classrooms, a common room, IT suite, study room, library and a small cafeteria.
Students have two options regarding accommodation for this programme, which is booked from Saturday to Saturday. Students can choose to stay with host families in a single or double room (if travelling as a pair). Breakfast is included and the families provide bedding and towels. Students can opt for half-board for an additional fee. The families are located in one of New York's five boroughs, Manhattan being the most expensive of these options. All minors (under 18) must stay with host families.
Residences are available for stays of 4 weeks or more. They offer single or double rooms and shared or private bathrooms. Computers and WiFi are both available in the residences, however no meals are included in this option. Students can choose the budget residence which is 25 minutes by metro from the school or the standard residence which is a 10 minute walk from the school.
- Standard English: 20 lessons per week, every morning Monday - Friday (45 mins per lesson) with a maximum of 14 students per group.
- Intensive English: 30 lessons per week, every morning and afternoon, Monday - Friday.
- Individual lessons: per 2 hour block, can be added as a supplement to Standard or Intensive course.
- Business English/Exam prep: 30 lessons per week, for levels Intermediate - Advanced. Cambridge (FCE, CAE, CPE) or TOEFL exams.
This programme is available for students aged 16-20, who are looking to improve their English, participate in a full activity programme and have free time to explore the city. The school is located in central Manhattan, near the main tourist sites with modern facilities.
Students stay in a recently renovated residence in central Manhattan around a 15 minute walk from the school. Students share fully furnished rooms (2, 3 or 4 students per room) with half-board. There is always a member of staff present in the residence for supervision or if the students have any questions.
On the programme...
- 20 English lessons per week (45 minutes each), alternating between morning and afternoon lessons with a maximum of 15 students per class.
- 3 half days and 2 evening activities
- For all stays of 2 or more weeks, full day excursion on the weekend.
- Example activities include: Natural History museum, Art museum, Yoga classes in Central Park, Shopping on 5th avenue and Picnic in Bryant Park.
This programme is available for students aged 14 - 18 for durations of 2 to 6 weeks. They stay with American host families, in one of the five boroughs of New York, generally in Long Island. The families are all in safe neighbourhoods, near public transport, generally with a child of a similar age. Students have a single room, full-board and airport transfers included on the programme. The families organise at least one excursion per week for the students.
The aim of this programme is for students to discover the American culture by sharing daily life with an American family and visiting the local tourist and cultural sites.
If you have any questions about these or any other programmes, contact us!