Mandarin, or traditional Chinese, is a group of related varieties of Chinese. When the Mandarin group is taken as one language, it has more native speakers than any other language worldwide. While Mandarin might seem to be one of the harder languages to learn, grammatically speaking it is rather straight forward, so once you figure out the characters and tones you'll be on a roll!
|Nan Jing Road. Source: es.wikipedia.org|
Our partner school in Shanghai is specialised in teaching Mandarin as a foreign language and the staff have specialised methods to facilitate the learning process for European students. The school is located in the centre of Shanghai, right next to the Nan Jing Road, one of the main pedestrian streets, and just a few minutes walk from the Bund, the city's famous seafront. The school has great public transport links with the nearest metro stop at People's Square.
The available programmes are:
- Standard Programme: This includes 20 lessons per week (four lessons per day) that take place every morning from Monday to Friday (9.00 - 12.30). This option is perfect for those who would like to study and also have free time to explore the city.
- Intensive Programme: Students take 30 Mandarin lessons per week (6 lessons per day) from 9.00-12.30 and 13.30-15.20. Lessons focus on comprehension and written and spoken expression.
- Combined Programme: This option enables students to combine 20 group lessons with 5 or 10 individual lessons. This creates a more intensive and personalised course.
The school also organises a weekly activity programme, giving students the chance to get to know the Chinese culture. Activities include a boat ride on the Huangpu River, calligraphy lessons, an evening in the highest bar in the world at the top of the Jinmao Tower and the chance to travel on the high speed Maglev train.
- Apartment: Students stay in an international residence with a single room. There is a shared kitchen area and a fully furnished bathroom with washing machine. Internet is available for free in the building which is around 10 minutes from the school. It has great public transport links and is close to local amenities.
- Host Family: This is the best option for students who already have some knowledge of Chinese (not all of the families will speak English) and are looking to discover the real Chinese way of life. This option includes a single room and half-board (breakfast and an evening meal). The families are up to 50 minutes from the school (via public transport) and offer internet access and air conditioning.
You can also study Mandarin on our Total Immersion programme!
If you have any questions about our Mandarin in Shanghai programme, or if you would like to book a place on this course, do not hesitate to contact us!