Antwerp is home to one of the best known universities in Flanders and its historic centre is known for its medieval renaissance style architecture. Dutch is a west Germanic language that is considered to be in between German and English as it shares similarities with both languages. It is often because of this that it is classed as one of the easiest languages for Anglophones to learn.
Our partner school in Antwerp is located in a commercial part of town, 15 minutes from the city centre and easily accessible from the airport and train/bus stations. On the ground floor you will find the reception and spacious study room, where a teacher is always available, with a small library, computers and a "coffee corner". In summer, students can relax and soak up the sun in the school's garden.
The classrooms are found on the first floor and are all bright and spacious. The school's second building is less than 20 metres away from the first and has three large classrooms and two smaller ones. Two trams stop in front of the school and can take students directly into the city centre. There are also several bus stops near the school which can take the students to and from their accommodation.
The school offers various different programme options for students of all different levels. Each lesson lasts 45 minutes and an effort is made to keep the class sizes small with an average of 8 students per group and a maximum of 12. All of the teachers are native Dutch speakers and qualified to teach Dutch as a foreign language. Additionally the school is an accredited CNaVT preparation centre.
The available programmes are:
- Standard Programme: Includes 24 group lessons - 20 general lessons + 4 ILL (Intensive Language Learning) sessions. This is available for Intermediate levels and up.
- Combined Programme: This includes 20 group lessons + 6, 9 or 12 individual lessons, allowing for a more personal learning experience. This programme is not available for beginners.
- Summer Programme: 24 lessons and 2 half days of activities. Available from July - August for students aged 18+ and levels Intermediate and up.
- Junior Holiday Programme: Available during the Easter and Summer holidays. This again includes 24 lessons and 2 half days of activities. This programme is for students aged 15-17 and levels Intermediate and up.
- Standard Beginner Programme: 20 lessons per week, especially designed for beginners. This programme begins every first Monday of the month and lasts 2 or 4 weeks.
- Long Programme: 8, 12, 15 or 18 weeks. This programme includes 28 lessons - 24 per week plus two afternoons of ILP (Interactive Learning Project). These sessions start in September or February and students have the option to take an exam and finish with a certificate.
- Individual Lessons: Students can choose from 10 to 25 hours per week. Students have an oral test before arrival so their level and objectives can be assessed. This programme is ideal for beginners and exam preparation.
- Business Programme: This enables students to better communicate in the business world, students have 27 lessons in small groups. The programme is available for students aged 21+ from 2 or 3 weeks, depending on your level.
Accommodation is available with Dutch speaking host families. Students have single rooms (double rooms are available) and they receive half-board during the week and full-board on the weekend. Students may stay with a couple, a single person, with or without children. Sheets and towels are provided and students can do their laundry at the family's home. There is also a refundable security deposit to be paid, the amount of which varies depending on the length of stay.
You can also study Dutch on one of our Total Immersion programmes:
If you have any questions about our Dutch course in Antwerp, do not hesitate to contact us!