What is it?
It is an initiative created by the Council of Europe and has been celebrated every year since 2001. Its aim is to encourage millions of Europeans to learn and enjoy languages at all ages, in and outside of school. The council of Europe wants to promote bilingualism as a tool to achieve greater intercultural understanding.
Why languages are awesome...
- There are between 6,000 and 7,000 different languages in the world.
- Most of the world's languages are spoken in Asia and Africa
- Bilingualism brings with it many benefits: it makes the learning of additional languages easier, enhances the thinking process and fosters contacts with other people and their cultures.
- Jobs are more easily available to those who speak several languages and multilingual companies have a better competitive edge.
- Russia has by far the highest number of languages spoken on its territory: from 130 to 200.
- Due to the influx of immigration, Europe has become very multilingual. London alone is home to over 300 different languages!
So, in honour of today and everything that is great about languages, why not get in touch with us and see which language you could start learning today!