There are over 400 million native Spanish speakers worldwide, making Spanish the second most widely spoken language, after Mandarin. It has quickly become the most popular second language learned by Americans, and is the most widely understood language in the western hemisphere.
This programme is available for students aged 16 and up. The school is located in the city centre with good public transport links. It was recently renovated and offers comfortable and modern surroundings and facilities, including an IT suite, free internet access, a library and 40 spacious classrooms.
There are three types of accommodation available with this programme. Host families, a student residence or a shared apartment. Host families are located around 20 minutes from the city centre and offer the choice of single or double rooms with breakfast. If students are looking for more independence the residence and apartments enable participants to live with other international students in double or triple fully furnished rooms. Although meals are not included with the apartment option there is a fully fitted kitchen in each apartment that students can use.
- General Spanish - 20 lessons per week. Lessons cover all of the basic language structures and skills and last 55 minutes each.
- Intensive Spanish - 25 lessons per week, plus 5 cultural workshops. The available options are: radio, media, drama or history, literature and art.
- DELE exam preparation: 20 Spanish lessons per week dedicated to exam preparation, enabling you to gain a level recognised by the institute of Cervantes.
Courses available for students aged between 5 - 18, combining Spanish lessons with supervised activities and excursions. The lessons take place in the main building of the Francisco de Vitoria university, one of the most prestigious universities in Spain. The campus offers many sporting facilities but also, a TV room, a study room, a dining room and an IT suite.
The students' accommodation is on the same campus as the school. The residence provides single or double rooms, full-board and an international immersion experience.
- 20 Spanish lessons per week (4 a day) in small groups of eight students on average. At the end of the programme students receive a certificate attesting their progress.
- The school also organises activities and excursions, allowing students to discover Spain and its rich culture and heritage.
- Example excursions include: a day in Toledo, Segovia or Salamanca. Visit the historical sites in Madrid (museo del Prado, a guided tour of Madrid). Other activities such as sports, parties and workshops.
A typical programme includes:
- 20 Spanish lessons per week
- Social and cultural activities such as visiting Gran Via, Sol & Paseo del Prado, exploring the Habsburg District and Plaza Mayor, and activities in Retiro Park.